A bridge fixes a replacement tooth (or teeth) to the natural teeth on either side of the gap. Some bridges have crowns at each end. Others are fixed to the surface of the teeth next to the gap. Sometimes a bridge is only fixed to the tooth on one side of the gap.
Bridges are made of metal and porcelain or sometimes just porcelain.
What are the benefits?
- A bridge lets you almost forget that you have missing teeth.
- It can improve the way you look, bite, and chew and speak.
- The teeth can be matched to the color of your own teeth.
- A bridge can last many years, if you keep it clean and if there is no accidental damage.
- Natural teeth are protected from wear and tear, and from moving or tilting out of line, which could cause your teeth to bite together incorrectly.